Sunday, November 13, 2005

FILM: The Phantom of the Opera


I finally got around to watching the The Phantom of the Opera double-DVD that Tita Aggie gave me earlier this year. Silly me, just because I had heard some bad reviews when it came out, I lost interest in seeing it myself. Being spineless can make you miss out on a lot. ;P

I've known the music since I was in highschool. Mrs. Puno, my voice teacher, gave me Think of Me and Wishing You were Somehow Here Again as pieces... I think I even sang them at my recitals. Although I'd have liked to see the musical performed on stage first, it may be quite a while before that happens, so I popped the DVD in after watching SNL (feat. Lindsay Lohan!).

Shet ha... maganda siya!!! Haha! Now how's THAT for a review?! *lol* Seriously, it exceeded all my expectations. Joel Schumacher did a brillilant job directing, the production design was breathtaking, and the MUSIC.... OHHHH THE MUSIC!!! Now you could say it'd be just as good as a theatrical performance but that wouldn't be accurate -- Andrew Lloyd Weber had a more than 100 piece orchestra and 90 person chorus recording the film score, which is virtually impossible to do for the stage. The music was as ALW had envisioned it and it was, ohmigod, exquisite.

In my humble opinion though, they could've chosen a Phantom who could sing better. Sure Gerard Butler is adorable and a strong performer... but his voice isn't that great. Somehow the role of "Angel of Music" didn't suit him all that well :( Hindi lang talaga ako fan ng straight tones, plus his voice was shaky pa in some parts. Tuloy, I didn't really enjoy Music of the Night, which is sad because it's such a beautiful song. His "rockstar-quality" tenor did work in songs where he was angry (like The Point of No Return), but that's about it. It lacked the tenderness, the finesse to pull off the softer, more romantic songs.

That having been said though, Butler broke my heart in the end... I was literally sobbing when he let Christine and Raoul leave. It got even worse when she came back to return his ring. It was so frikking sad... I can't imagine how anyone could not have been moved by it.

I'm still trying to not be bothered by the love triangle though... Parang incestuous kasi ang dating ng Christine-Phantom dynamic because for most of her life, she had seen him as a father-figure... then she's all kissing him in the end. Ewan! In a non-musical, I would've criticized the underdeveloped lovestory between Christine and Raoul, but because of All I Ask of You (which, also had me in tears), I'm all right with it. :)

Andrew Lloyd Weber is a genius! Now I'm more determined to catch New Voice Company's production of Aspects of Love. In the meantime though... hehe... kakain muna ako. Laters! :D






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home