Monday, January 12, 2009

66th Annual Golden Globe Awards

I love me some award shows. If guys have the Superbowl and NBA/MLB championships, and some of my gay friends have their beauty pageants, I have my film and television award ceremonies. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I live for the Golden Globes, SAGs, Oscars, and Emmys, but I do eagerly anticipate these every year, from the moment the nominees are announced. I participate in online polls and try to see as many of the nominated films/shows/performances as I can so as to make informed decisions (I take this seriously, yes), and when the time comes, I gleefully vote on which gowns are hits/misses or glam/sham.

Sooo the Globes were this morning, and while I couldn't for the replay this evening to find out the winners, I will still blog even though I know the results.
(Is it still considered "live-blogging" if it's done to a delayed telecast?)

RED CARPET SPECIAL
8pm First up, the Hanson, er, Jonas brothers. The one with straight her and thick eyebrows is cute. Dang em old.
8:05 Now I've always expressed my befuddlement with Miley Cyrus's celebrity. In the first place, I don't think she's all that cute. But she does look pretty great tonight - Marchesa dress, long flowing locks, and all. I don't think she looks too old.
8:08 Love America Ferrera but not so much the dress. She did a similar bubble-skirt thingee a couple of award shows ago.
8:13 I have a dress sorta like Amanda Seyfried's. Ugh, don't you just hate it when these hosts ask celebrities stupid questions like "[Steve Carrell], can you say something wacky right now?"
8:15 Eva Mendes looks fabulous waist-up.
8:20 The years have been kind to Blair Underwood, yes they have. Cat sound!
8:21 S!!! Where's B?!
8:23 Is Rachel Griffiths preggo?
8:24 Why did Nancy interview Sigourney Weaver and Beyonce together?
8:28 Maggie Gyllenhaal's interviewed went on about a minute too long. Or maybe my attention span is just much too short.
8:30 Vanessa Hudgens representing!
8:31 Drew Barrymore wants to work with Anne Hathaway, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and Slumdog Millionaire.
8:32 ARI!!!
8:33 Dustin Hoffman just kills. And I don't think he's even trying.
8:39 SPIELBERG! FEY! POEHLER! ARNETT! Weeeeeeeee!!! Will people ever get tired of asking Tina about Sarah Palin?
8:41 Kate and Leo, BFFs. She looks gorgeous, as always.
8:46 These big group interviews just aren't a good idea.
8:49 Not a fan of Marisa Tomei's outfit tonight but she's just too adorable anyway. Oooo there's Dempsey waving to fans! I may have quit Grey's Anatomy, but I still think he's one of the hottest men on the planet.

Got kinda bored back there. Then momentarily hypnotized by Salma Hayek's cleavage (second time in three days) And at last, the show begins....

9:01 J.Lo: Glam or Sham? Sham.
9:03 Kate Winslet says she has a habit of not winning. But since she won to Kate Winslet is amazing. I really think she's destined to be the greatest actress of my generation.
9:06 Ahhh, Gordon Sumner. One of the most amazing beings in the UNIVERSE. Okay, so maybe Miley really is talented.
9:13 I'm actually relieved to see Eva Longoria not look like a nutjob at an award show. She is smokin' tonight.
9:14 ARI AGAIN!
9:18 Ya know, I don't think I've seen anything of Laura Dern's since Jurassic Park... First semi-political speech of the night.
9:24 Don Cheadle, he be funny!
9:27 Damn that Jon Hamm just sizzles.
9:31 Props to Anna Paquin for dodging the Oscar Best Supporting Actress curse with the success of True Blood.
9:35 Ricky Gervais is freaking HILARIOUS!
9:40 Working with Pixar will forever be among my dream jobs.
9:42 I can only imagine how completely overwhelming it must be to beat Meryl Streep, Emma Thomson, and Frances McDormand.

*taking a break from blogging to do some real work*

10:18 Two of my television faves, Patrick Dempsey and Amy Poehler, present the award to yet another: BALDWIN! Ok so I know this is too obvious to 30 Rock fans, but Baldwin's real-life mother is also recovering from hip surgery? I guess it's safe to assume he didn't accidentally run her over...

10:25 Holy SHET!!! Why oh why is Renee Zellwegger channeling Morticia?!?!
10:26 Megan Fox was at her hottest in Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen.
10:30 30 Rock's award is coming up! WOOT! Ooo great clip! Tracyyyy!!! I hope Jeff Zucker ("JZ") isn't one to hold a grudge. Same goes for Ben Silverman, although he seemed happy enough. I LOVE YOU 30 ROCK!

*back to work*

10:41 TINA TIME!!! Btw, Jane Krakowski looks beautiful in her asymmetric dress. Cute how she can't suppress her excitement. TINAFEY30ROCK!!! Seriously has ANY entertainer ever had a year as incredible as Tina has?!?!?! I think I'm gonna create a Tina-bashing online persona just so she'll notice me =P

Actually, I can stop watching now. Or at least blogging. I was really just in it for 30 Rock anyway (most of the nominated movies have yet to be released here). So while I'm really excited to see Slumdog Millionaire, Benjamin Button, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Doubt, and Revolutionary Road... I just don't have anything invested in any of these films tonight. Signing off!

Sorry I'm back... just a couple of bullets from Steven Spielberg (not Spielburger), who will no doubt go down in history as one of the most important filmmakers of our time:
  • He never makes a movie that doesn't give him the anxiety of thinking "Can I get away with this?"
  • Because of the tough economic times, the temptation will be to make movies for a broader audience. But he reminds us that we are an audience of individuals and that we cannot afford to lose the type of movies that were honored that evening.
11:29 And I'm back again.... Kate Winslet's reaction to her second win is making me tear up! Awww and now Leo's teary-eyed, too. One of the evening's highlights, hands down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home