Monday, November 21, 2005

Coming Soon!


I'm so excited! One of my all-time favorite books has FINALLY been made into a movie! I passed by the A Different Bookstore in Cubao yesterday to pick up a copy of
Story Philippines and wound up buying Time's November 21 issue as well. As soon as I saw the cover I just knew I had to get it (only later did it occur to me that I could've just looked it up on the Net, but oh well).

Richard Corliss, if I'm not mistaken, is very stingy about giving good reviews. He loved Geisha though, which is probably a good sign. But even if he hadn't given it the thumbs-up, I'd still be one of the first people to see it when it comes out here. It's been a while since I was last this excited about a single film.

When I first found out that Hollywood was coming up with a Geisha movie (Steven Spielberg was still on board as director then), I felt that it had to be done in Japanese with English subtitles. It just seemed wrong to have all the dialogue in a movie so steeped in Japanese culture delivered in English. However, the dirth of "top" Japanese actresses (one wonders what they mean by "top" -- I'm guessing it's "commercially viable") made it impossible to have an all-Japanese cast. Instead, director Rob Marshall has Ziyi Zhang (Nitta Sayuri), Li Gong (Hatsumomo), and Michelle Yeoh (Mameha) -- all Chinese actresses (though technically, Michelle Yeoh is Malaysian) -- saying all their lines in English but with Japanese accents. It's just as well, I suppose, as having to read subtitles the whole time will draw my attention away from the costumes.

Ahhh, yes, the costumes. All those exquisite kimonos! Half the fun of reading the book was imagining each beautiful dress as well as the ornate hairdo and accessories that went with it. I wonder if this will start an obi revival?

Anyway, this is one Christmas movie I'll be sure to see... oh shyeettt... AFTER the Metro Manila Filmfest pa pala!!! Argh!!! *bangs head on desk* The local film industry had better come up with really good movies this year :( 'til the opening, I'll have to content myself with watching the trailer once in a while..



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home