Monday, May 01, 2006

Parents' Wedding Blessing

I've never kept any of the booklets they hand out as guides during wedding ceremonies because, well, there's never been anything in them worth reading again, much less keeping. Today, however, I brought home the booklet from a wedding I attended. The couple decided to include a "Parents' Blessings" part right before the Concluding Rite, and the prayer was so poignant that I couldn't just leave it on the page.

Here it goes:

May your marriage bring you all the happiness a marriage brings.
And may life grant you patience, tolerance, and understanding.
May you always need one another, not so much to fill your own emptiness, but to help you know your fullness.
May you need one another, but not out of weakness.
May you want one another, but not out of lack.
May you entice one another, but not compel one another.

...


May you look for things to praise and take no notice of small faults.

May you enter into the mystery which is the awareness of one another's presence, no more physical than spiritual, warm and near when you are side by side, still warm and near when in separate rooms or distant cities.

...

(*I'm not too crazy about these next two blessings.. the first is a bit too co-dependent sounding. The second one I just don't get... what does "it" refer to? Am posting them anyway in case anyone cares to interpret them)

May you have happiness and may you find it in making one another happy.
May you love and may you find it loving one another.


Last two statements aside, I think it's a beautiful blessing. When I get married (date, venue, and groom yet unknown), I may even edit it a bit and use it. Or maybe I could get my own parents to put their own little twist on it.


2 Comments:

Blogger the city reader said...

you're right, it is a lovely blessing. and it's a nice idea to have your parents bless you, whether or not their marriages are happy... got me all fuzzy here in the office... hahaha.

11:34 AM  
Blogger mommy kiel said...

hi.
just saw your comments on my kid's blog.
thanks. i didn't know you read the blog pala.
musta na? :)

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home