Monday, December 05, 2005

Mabuhay ang pelikulang Pilipino!

If you haven't seen Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros yet, please go out and do so! To quote Conrado de Quiros, "Do yourself a favor!" I love this movie, but don't just take my word for it. It is so refreshing to see a Filipino film that is so -- true. No melodrama, no contrived plot twists, no caricatures or stereotypes. Pagdadalaga was so touching and heartbreaking in all its simplicity and honesty. It was also hilarious in several parts without having to resort to mababaw tricks.

My usual criticism of Filipino films is that they have so many unnecessary subplots and scenes that are presumably there to add texture but only end up making the movies drag... this isn't the case with Pagdadalaga. No element was out of place, walang "pa-cute," no self-conscious efforts to please the crowds. Everything just fit. Even the music (and Don Music-like appearances) by the legendary Pepe Smith came in at all the right times.

The fact that I left the movie theater dry-eyed doesn't mean I wasn't moved. Dubai made me cry a lot even though I didn't really like it... so tears aren't an accurate gauge of how good a film is.

I'd write more but it's past my bedtime. Maybe I'll dream of JR Valentin, the cute cop! Haha! He's such a revelation... I could hardly believe he was the same guy I'd seen in Bridal Shower a couple of years ago
.

Anyway, I do hope more people go out to see this. Happily, the 9:30PM screening at Power Plant was well-attended. Not just that -- a lot of people clapped in the end! It's nice to know that the "well-heeled" crowd (not that I perceive myself to be well-heeled,
bihira akong manood doon ;P) is supportive of Philippine cinema. Pagdadalaga has raised the bar for Filipino movies. Because of it, I now eagerly await the next movies of Auraeus Solito, Michiko Yamamoto, and other up-and-coming directors and writers. I also hope to see more of Nathan Lopez, the precocious young actor in the title role. That kid is hella cute and amazingly talented... let's hope he goes far! And of course, I'd be more than happy to bump into JR Valentin ;0)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home